from: Eye is Bloke <email@example.com>
date: Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 8:19 AM
subject: FOI Request / Complaint – Disrespect No Body Campaign
Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing in relation to your current Disrespect No Body television campaign and related website / discussion guide.
May I first commend you for your efforts to address and raise awareness a very important issue. That said I feel that, in it’s present form, the television advert serves to undermine the stated aims of your campaign.
For this reason I would ask you to treat this correspondence as both complaint and freedom of information request.
Hopefully you will be aware of the level of criticism the advert has received, not least on the related #disrespectnobody hashtag, and are already taking steps to address this.
My complaint is similar to most, in that whilst the campaign materials and website appear to use gender inclusive language, the TV advert’s message is extremely gender exclusive and therefor has quite rightly come under criticism for a message that appears to disrespect half of it’s target audience and as a consequence is potentially wasting significant amounts of public money.
It strikes me that a relatively simple change to the audio track could entirely change the tone and bias of the current message and I hope that you will be taking immediate action to address this.
This is the third example of campaigns promoting unreasonable (and inaccurate) gender bias using public money that I have noticed in the past 6 months and I am extremely disappointed that the Home Office and Minister for Equalities is not showing leadership on this.
I would ask you to advise the following:
1. What steps where taken to ensure that the campaign in general complies with your Public Sector Equality Duty including a list of all counsultees?
2.. What steps where taken to ensure that the television advert complies with your Public Sector Equality Duty including a list of all counsultees?
3. What action you have / will be taking to address the criticism that this campaign advert has received?
4. What steps have been taken to ensure that the Government’s VAWG strategy complies with your Public Sector Equality Duty?
5. What steps have been taken to ensure that the outcomes arising from Government’s VAWG strategy have (to date) all been a proportionate means of meeting a legitimate aim?
6. What steps have been taken to ensure that the outcomes arising from Government’s VAWG strategy have (to date) all been the most effective way of prioritising public money to services assisting vulnerable adults and children experiencing domestic abuse and / or sexual violence.
As is usual in freedom of information requests I am happy to receive any part of your full response as soon as it becomes available.