A Quick Request

from: Eye is Bloke <eyeisbloke@gmail.com>
to: Readers’ Editor <reader@guardian.co.uk>
date: Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 8:41 PM
subject: Equal Opportunity Complaint

Dear Anna,

I’d be grateful if you would confirm who within the Guardian Media Group is responsible for investigating complaints under the Group’s Equal Opportunity policy.

My understanding is that Section 29 of the Equality Act 2010 provides protection for service users from unfair discrimination and I would like to make a complaint about the Comment is Free Service.

Thanks,

EiB

response

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 11:18 AM, Guardian Readers <guardian.readers@theguardian.com> wrote:
Dear EiB

Thank you for your email. Could you please be more specific about the nature of your complaint?

best wishes

Helen Hodgson
Assistant Readers’ editor

From: Eye is Bloke <eyeisbloke@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 1:52 PM
Subject: Re: Equal Opportunity Complaint
To: Guardian Readers <guardian.readers@theguardian.com>

Helen,

I’m a user of the CIF service and am concerned that I have been treated less favourably due to characteristics that are currently protected under UK law.

In the interest of ensuring that my concerns are considered in a fair and objective manner, I would prefer to discuss the specific detail of my complaint directly with the person or Office responsible for investigating complaints of this nature.

I have previously attempted to address aspects of my complaint, first directly with the CIF moderation team and then via the Reader’s Editor however both were unable to reasonably resolve the matter.

I’ve been advised that any service provider complying with the Services, Public Functions and Associations Statutory Code of Practice will have appointed a specific individual or Office responsible for considering equal opportunity complaints and that their contact details will be identified in an equal opportunity policy.

I’d be grateful if you would assist me by confirming who within your orgainsation is responsible for investigating complaints made under your Company’s policy on promoting equality of opportunity to service users, assuming that such a policy exists.

Thanks,

EiB
Screen Shot 2015-08-30 at 16.32.43

Eye is Bloke <eyeisbloke@gmail.com>
Aug 28 (2 days ago)

to Guardian
Hi Helen

I responded to your query 8 days ago but have not received a response from you.

I’m concerned that you may have decided just to simply ignore my request and / or that you are not prepared to even acknowledge my attempt to raise a genuine equal opportunity complaint with your employer.

If this is not the case, I would be grateful if you would advise by return and also confirm who is responsible for considering complaints of this nature.

Thanks in advance for assisting with this.

Be seeing you.
EiB

eye is Bloke <eyeisbloke@gmail.com>
Aug 28 (2 days ago)

to cif.moderation
Dear Moderation Team,
My account was flagged for pre-moderation in April of this year. At this time I was advised the following:

that your team had identified me as a risk, based on a pattern of behaviour (e.g. spam, trolling, repeated/frequent borderline abuse).
that two out of a total of only four contributions I had made were removed because they were ‘obviously commercial or otherwise spam-like’.
that pre moderation is a temporary measure and that if I continue to comment within the guidelines set out in the community standards pre-moderation would be removed.
I would be grateful if you would now review my account status and advise by return if your team still consider me to be a risk based on a pattern of behaviour (e.g. spam, trolling, repeated/frequent borderline abuse).

If you do not consider me to be a risk, please remove the pre moderation measure from my account by Friday 4th September.

Thanks in advance for your assistance with this.

Be seeing you,